Saturday, April 02, 2011

Birthday Celebration Dinner c/o Cantina Los Caballitos

Since winter hit I haven't seen much of A.S. Her work, sadly enough, also has a busy season. And since most of her clients are homeless, winter becomes quite busy. Anyways. She recently turned 27 (youth!) and I met up with her and some other friends at Cantina Los Caballitos. Soon after sitting down we ordered pitchers of margaritas and chips came out with green and red salsas. I spoke to B., a girl who went to the same high school as I did, but with whom I wasn't overly familiar. It was nice to meet her, or re-meet her. There were others, but the space was loud and I didn't manage to circulate. I liked the margaritas just fine.
I'm not sure if these look appealing or not. They are nachos, and in actuality they were quite good. Though - like many nachos before them - their bottom layer of chips did not benefit greatly from the presumed trickle down effect of strategic topping placement. If you know what I mean? The whole balance of chips that get equal opportunity topping smothering. If that makes sense. I think I'm going to move on from the nachos.
Cantina Los Caballitos is the sister restaurant of Dos Segundos, which I consider a good thing; every time I have been to the restaurant I've had a good time, even if sometimes I haven't liked my exact menu choice. I ordered the goat tacos, still remembering how much I enjoyed Dos Segundos' version when Childhood friend visited in ... oh man, it's going on three years ago? Almost. I added guacamole and pico de gallo to my tacos, I kind of feel like charging for those things is sad. But they were really good and I didn't want to go without. Somehow my angle and the flash led to an unfortunate (and avoidable-for-someone-better-than-me) shadow issue in most of the taco images. It's my looming mouth and stubby hands bearing down upon the tacos. They were ready. They knew it was their time.
I can't wait for the season to change, and the farmer's markets and the fresh green beans and radishes. And strawberries! Oh man. Tomatoes. Tomatoes with real dirty realness. I really need to grow tomatoes this summer. I have a deck. It gets sun. I can fight off squirrels with my superior intellect. I have an MFA, you know.
So happy birthday to A.S.!

No comments: