Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cured Meats, Pasta, Meatballs and Pizza c/o Barbuzzo

At some point lately Mr. Ass let me know that he was going to be in the city, and asked if I might like to meet up with him for a meal. We decided that Barbuzzo would be our destination, as I had long wanted to try the place, and he had recently gone and enjoyed himself. So after work I caught a bus and wended my way down to Barbuzzo where Mr. Ass awaited. We had a very nice server who looked a lot like Natalie Portman, except not pregnant. I abstained from pointing this out to her because I was pretty sure I wouldn't have been the first to say it. We split the cured meat plate, which included chorizo, prosciutto and a few other things. I liked it and its accoutrements well enough, but James' plate is the golden standard.
Next up was the casarecce, which came with olive oil, wood fired Hen of the Woods mushrooms, arugula, preserved lemon-walnut pesto and ricotta. There was a lot going on and all of it was to my liking. I believe Mr. Ass was also taken with this dish.
We also ordered the caciocavallo stuffed meatballs made of house ground shortrib, pork, oregano and calabrian chile. I hadn't really understood that there was going to be cheese on the INSIDE of the balls...but once I comprehended the reality of the situation, I was quite pleased. The tomato sauce accompanying it was simple but not necessarily in a bad way.
We completed our dining experience with the uovo pizza, which was topped with brussel leaves, barbuzzo guanicale, secret white sauce, house-stretched fior de latte, truffle and a farm egg. Though already pretty full, I managed to consume my two slices with little difficulty. I mean. Really. Anything with truffle oil and an egg? With cheese? What's not to love? Nothing. That's what.
I also tried their 'little Italian redhead' cocktail, which consisted of vodka, aperol and housemade lemonade. I liked it but decided on a glass of wine for my next beverage. I couldn't tell you which wine. Either the barbera or the montepulciano. I liked it too.
So the cured meat was a bit of a 'miss,' but that's really just due to my high standards for cured meat/charcuterie. The pasta was delightful, rich and nutty. The meatballs were hearty and the cheese in the middle was a wonderful surprise. The pizza was also above par and delicious. I will definitely go back and try more of their dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats sura neuvewa telephono appratti. Jacob