Friday, April 10, 2009

South Philly, Here We Come

After our walk to the museum we went back to the apartment and did something for a bit. Probably played Rummy. That son of a bitch cousin of mine is really gosh darned good at that game (we played all weekend, I may tell you what our final score was, but not right now). Then we started implementing our Saturday plan. On our agenda were the following: walk to south Philly, grab a snack and drink some beer, go to Devil's Den to watch the NCAA play-offs and have dinner, act like we had been fans of Villanova for years (K. really wanted to find Viallnova shirts etc), then go to Connie's Ric Rac for some comedy, then who knows! Our walking route took us over to and then down 12th Street for a while, but we weren't seeing the right kind of snack/drink options we had hoped for, so when we reached South Street we headed east in an effort to find ourselves a proper venue, but we didn't find it, so then we went down 8th Street. Eventually we came across Vesuvio, which I had acutally been to once before, a long time ago. We were only going to stop there briefly, but they have this great $1 PBR until 11 pm deal that made us think twice. Plus we had prime spots for basketball watching.
In the end we ordered food here as well. I felt like wings, so I ordered wings. K. felt like pizza, so she ordered pizza. My wings were good, but my belly got full after about half of them, and I didn't think that carrying around a container of wings for the rest of the night would be a really good idea. So, alas, alas, I had to leave the leftovers behind. K. felt very positively about the merits of her pizza.
We had two bartenders (that's what happens when you get somewhere at 4 and don't leave until close to 8). The first was quite chatty, but then, at that time, we were the only customers in the place. He was the sort of chatty that verged on annoying because he'd just leap into our conversation with no invitation. Sometimes this is a bold move that pays off, better conversation comes as a result. In this instance, however, I frequently found myself losing whatever small point I was trying to make because of his interjections. The second bartender was far less chatty, but then it had gotten busy. K. and I thought he had a nice face and he had the same phone as me (we didn't think he had the same phone as me, he did have the same phone). That is all. Michigan State won. Villanova lost.

No comments: