Friday, April 10, 2009

Donut of the Century

After Vesuvio we walked the rest of the way to Connie's Ric-Rac for the comedy of the Sixth Borough. I'd been meaning to go to Connie's for a while, since a good friend of J. and J. is one of its owner/manager/founders, but it always seemed so far away from where I live that it was hard to get really motivated about getting there. In any case, it's a real interesting space and they have a lot of great ideas for how to use it. The comedy group wasn't un-funny. It was like I had a thought that was sort of 'oh, I see how this could be funny, and you're very close, but y'all haven't quite hit it, have you?'. It wasn't a dead audience, they got laughs, just not sustained and uproarious ones. After the show the cousin and I started walking in a northerly direction, we were half thinking about finding a bar to watch the end of the Villanova game and half thinking about just finding a cab and going back to my place. Before either of those possibilities became a reality, K. felt a need for chocolate, so she went inside this little hispanic bakery/grocery of sorts. I took pictures, but asked her to get me something too.

K. reappeared a few moments later with what turned out to be two of the best donuts ever. They were real, man, real real. Unlike Dunkin Donuts, these suckers weren't pumped full of air; each doughy bite had sustenance and sugar and chocolate topping all up in and on its self.
I developed a donut beard I was so happy.
Then we caught a cab and I realized that it's only $10 (plus tip) to get home that way (Philadelphia public transportation I shake my fist at you)...I had expected that it would be closer to $15 or $20.

No comments: