Saturday, April 18, 2009

Soup Fail and Mozzarella Sticks

After our Rita's we walked back home and took naps. I also watched a few episodes of Demetri Martin's show. I find him very funny and I'm sort of fascinated by the fact that he is fit. After the napping and television down time we went to London Grill for happy hour. We each had a beer, and I don't think either of us was terribly impressed with our respective drinks. I found the idea of fois gras matzoh ball soup too interesting to pass up....but it was a severe let down and rather yucky. I did not eat most of it. There were little bits of something that I guess was fois gras stuffed into the balls...but ugh didn't have the delectable taste or texture of fois gras as I understand it. Then there were the mushrooms. I like mushrooms...but these mushrooms didn't really add any particular taste or 'pop' to the soup. The broth itself was weak and kind of yicky. It was a poorly put together dish.
After that we went to McKenna's to watch the final basketball game. I was excited to try the fish tacos but was disappointed to learn that the chef who was responsible for the rather surprising menu had 'moved on'...so it was back to a scrawled xerox copy that read like the inventory of a Costco freezer. We settled on mozzarella sticks, which were exactly as they should have been: cheesy and hot.
We drank $8 pitchers of Bud and played cards. She kicked my ass. Our final score? K. had 2,845 and I had 2,005. Sigh.

2 comments:

nc catherine said...

Ok I am so impressed that you would even consider eating something as bizarre as foi gras matzoh balls. I mean, ick??? Maybe I have never had a good matzoh ball, lord knows in all my years of being a southerner and/or living in the south I have never found a dumpling that I could eat so maybe it is all me and a texture thing, but really!!! Foi gras???? Yikes. I am not surprised it was nasty, just sad that you lost money on something verging on horrible!!!

J said...

That's too bad. I have been on a fish taco kick ever since seeing "I love you man." And by kick, I mean I want some, but haven't had any.

NY is not really known for its Mexican food, but that is changing.