Friday, December 28, 2007

Brunch Like You've Never Brunched Before

On Christmas day my parents and I went to the Park Hyatt Hotel, specifically NoMi Restaurant. There we had brunch like we'd never had brunch before: looking out at the Water Tower (one of a very few buildings to remain after the great fire started by that pesky cow).

It was buffet style but this was not Sizzler or, really, any other buffet. There was a seafood station complete with sushi, oysters, shrimp, seaweed salad, smoked salmon and crab claws.
The bloody mary was stupid expensive and not all that spectacular, I won't lie. The olives were good though.
There were cured meats and fancy tasty cheeses. Oh and smoked duck and pate. All of which was AMAZING. My parents contended that the country paté was some of the best they'd ever had.
Chesnut soup wasn't that amazing. But I'm not sure if I have any real feelings for chesnuts in any form.
We had the option of an entree. I had the Eggs Benedict with lobster medallion while my parents had bass with truffle jus. The Hollandaise sauce was very good and not neon yellow. We were told that, if our stomachs were were capable of it, we could have more than one entree. When we first got there and started with the seafood we were all optimistic and talking like 'oh after I try a little of everything I'll get another shrimp or crab claw along with another small triangle of this here paté'--but after trying a lot of things and the entree there wasan't a lot of room for seconds. Just as well.

Lovely cheese and the chorizo (or whatever kind of cured meat it was) !


They had all these three-bite sized desserts...like nine million of them...none of them actually blew me away. The blowing away was in the cheese, meat and seafood.
So good.

No comments: