Saturday, December 01, 2007

Birthday Dinner at David Burke's Primehouse

For my birthday the 'rents took me to David Burke's Primehouse. I started with a glass of champagne.
Then there were fancy popovers (but it wasn't all that good...rather it wasn't as delicate) with tasty butter with Himalayan salt.

They had a special appetizer that my father was all over...which was a good move on his part...stone crab, stone cold. It was accompanied by three sauces but, frankly, the meat was so succulent tasty wonderful that just a little lemon was all they really needed.
We also had the surf and turf appetizer. Not bad...but not as amazing as I expected. The lobster side of the dumplings were very creamy rich. The short rib side was disappointing. But disappointing in the way that high quality food is still good, just not exactly as mind blowing as you expected.
Speaking of mind blowing.....the Louisville Ribeye I had was just that. Like no steak I've ever had: tender, melty tender. Medium rare amazing. Oh my.
We also ordered two sides to share: truffled french fries and tempura green beans. The fries were good, beans not as much...or maybe they shouldn't have called them tempura.
20 ounces of amazing steak is a lot of steak. I didn't finish mine...but I did have room for dessert...below you can see me wooing a glass of Courvoisier. Behind me is the man who brought a surprise complimentary piece of birthday cake. He doesn't look all that amused.

We also ordered a trio of sorbets: chocolate raspberry, salted caramel and (this one was the ONE) peach rosemary. I would recommend Primehouse for special occaions. Our server was unpretentious and knowledgeable, as was the sommelier, but all the food (even the near misses) was great and I would definitely go back and try an even more aged cut of meat. Of course, I didn't pay for this meal and most of us under 30 probably couldn't. But if you got a special occasion and a parent who loves you, well, go and be happy!
For my birthday I got a new hat.
And kind of for my birthday I got a new flippity phone. These photographs are proof of the new phone and hat!
Beer in champagne glasses. Classy to the maxi.

No comments: