Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Change Of Place

The boyfriend and I, along with one of the boyfriend's college chums, drove up to Madison last night to have a little visit with another college chum. We arrived around 9 and then went to dinner at a restaurant called something like Claddagh Arms. I was a little skeptical of the place because it was in the middle of a shoppping parking lot place. Next to it was a place called 'Cheeseburger In Paradise' and across the way was a World Market and two or three other stores of that ilk...oh and a Cold Stone Creamery was nearby (I had never heard of CSC before moving to Chicago and I have yet to try it..faux pas?).

Skeptical I was. But by the end of the meal I was far less so. This joint was living life Irish. It had two or three real fireplaces and big bar and a decent menu. We split the Shamrock Wings, which our host said smelled funny, and they tasted pretty good but not at all spicy. I had a housesalad which was a straight forward affair of iceberg lettuce, chopped tomatoes, red onion and cucumbers. I most certainly can make a better salad but the lettuce was fresh and not all wilty wacky around the edges. I had the calamari appetizer for dinner. Each bite was crispy and the portion was too big for me to finish...oh and their cocktail sauce had what I consider an acceptable amount of horseradish. Many restaurants put like a pink fingernail clipping's worth of horseradish in their sauces and that's just silly you need at least a whole thumb nail. The end.

No comments: