Sunday, July 25, 2010

Heartless Bastards at North Star Bar

My cousin K. gave me a Heartless Bastards CD when I still lived in Chicago and I liked it very much. The hard rocky guitar riffs with country in there somewhere propelled me while I concocted recipes for Chicagoist or simply made dinner for friends. I've since bought more of their music, which is also good for walking down the street feeling tough. So, when I saw that they were playing in Philly I decided that regardless of whether anyone else would come with me, I was going to go. No one else would come, so I went by myself. Once I got to the door, however, it became unfortunately known that the show had sold out. Sadness. Fortunately a guy in the line had an extra ticket, which I purchased for the price it actually was. Funny aside, I had actually met the guy and his girlfriend once before, months back. So we caught up a little and hung out while before the show. When they actually came on I meandered to the front and asked a ridiculously tall man if I could stand in front of him, seeing as I wouldn't block his view but he was certainly blocking mine.
They didn't like me using the flash, so I had to stop.
Somehow I had always thought that the lead singer was an older woman. Her voice makes her sound like she's forty and that she really has lived it. She's actually closer to thirty and has a nice pair of feet sticks (I have decided that legs should be known as feet sticks and I insist that this catches on like wildfire).


Something about musicians' feet during a show is really interesting to me. Plus they usually have pretty nice footwear.

It was hot, hot, hot outside and even hotter inside. Within moments of being on stage all the musicians were awash and glistening.

A very good show indeed. At some point I gave up trying to take good photographs and just did my little hard rocky, sway like dance moves...occasionally being elbowed in the head by the tall guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there, too! You were right behind me... I think!

cc said...

Man, it was a good show. Sorry if my subpar attempts at taking photographs got in the way of your good time:)