Sunday, July 18, 2010

Guacamole, Floating, Burgers and Cake

On the fourth much was the same. We started our morning out on the dock, swimming and whatnot. For lunch I made myself and pulled pork sandwich, and then later A. made guacamole and brought it out to the dock. I made a big dent in The Girl Who Played With Fire as well.
I asked H. to take a few photographs of me in the water so I would be able to visually represent exactly what my routine was. Basically, I would start with standing at the edge of the dock being unreasonably unsure of my ability to dive into the lake without accidentally going too low and scraping myself on the Zebra Mussels that hide beneath. This is really an unwarranted fear. I may not be the best diver or swimmer of all time, but I'm not entirely incompetent in the water arts. Most of the S. family jumps or dives into the water and spends about a minute or two in the water before coming back onto the dock. I, on the other hand, would routinely spend what felt like 15 minutes in the water but probably was only five. Maybe ten?
And this is what I look like. I either float with my hands in a dive position above my head, or sometimes I put my hands under my head in a position one most often sees in people lying in a hammock. The lake was my hammock.

In the afternoon A. made a carrot cake and garnished it with little wooden sailboats.
July 4th dinner was properly holiday-like. A very tasty green bean salad with maybe rice wine vinegar?
A. marinated burger meat and her father grilled the resulting burgers.
Sausage was also grilled.
H. made a loosely interpreted chimichurri sauce that included mint, cilantro and basil. Oh man, it was good.
Here you can see that A. liked the green sauce so much she mixed all her food around in it. Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing plate but definitely palate pleasing.
Then we dug into the cake, which was delicious.
Another wonderful outdoor eating experience. For real.

No comments: