Saturday, July 31, 2010

Clams, Fingerling Potatoes, Parsley and Tartufo Handcrafted Salami

Years back, in my Chicago days, I received the odd cookbook to review for Chicagoist. That was a different part of my life, and I miss some of it. Mainly the free books and opportunities to attend food events as a press person. In any case, at one point I made this dish based off of Art Smith's cookbook. Haven't made it since, even though it was ridiculously good at the time. So, when I was on Long Beach Island and stopped at a seafood store and saw the option of clams, this recipe jumped to mind immediately. On Monday I went about making it. When I went to whole foods they were out of cured chorizo and the meat counter dude was so apologetic he gave me a salami substitute on the house ($11.99 value!). The substitute, Creminelli's Tartufo Salami, held up pretty well. It had .05% black truffle in it, which added a different flavor profile than Smith's original recipe, which was a little spicier if I remember correctly. The salami also cooked differently than the chorizo, neither of which needed to be cooked. I added the salami after the clams had opened, but maybe I let it sit too long before serving? The discs were just a little more chewy than would have been ideal.
It's a simple thing to do, as you can see from the above link, and it works out well. L. came over and partook and seemed quite pleased.

No comments: