Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Brunch c/o The Belgian Cafe

L. and I hadn't seen each other in a while, so we decided brunch was in order. We landed on St. Stephen's Green as a neighborhood venue for this sit-down...but when we met there at 11 (actually L. figured this out a little before I arrived) it turned out that the place, though technically open, doesn't do brunch on Saturdays. Woe! Actually, there was a little woe to be had, seeing as it was raining torrentially (blogger tells me I'm spelling this word wrong, but I don't know if I really believe it...is it simply not a word?). We scrambled for a back up plan with L. finally suggesting the Belgian (that's what the cool neighborhood kids/my roommate call it). While I have frequented the bar and restaurant throughout my time in Philly, its brunch was unknown to me, so off we walked. We both chose to have a classic mimosa over the mimosa made with beer instead of sparkly wine.
I ordered the Eggs Benedict, which were served on waffles. I loved the ham, I loved the eggs and the sauce wasn't bad. The waffle element was so-so. I'm not a great lover of waffles, so it wasn't the perfect match. L. ordered the Croque Madame, which was basically the same, only on bread and with cheese. I would consider having that the next time I have brunch at the Belgian.
It was a great meal and L. and I were able to catch up on all the elements of our lives we regularly share. You know, basically boys. That's not really true. L. and I have been having long, rambling conversations about our lives since we were 13. While I could always see more of her than I do, I'm glad that she's in Philly and we get to continue this more than ten year tradition of shooting the shit and sharing our feelings.

No comments: