Sunday, July 11, 2010

Concluding Brunch

While wedding festivities were concluded, there was one last function to attend before pushing off from Portsmouth's shores/general location. So we all trooped back to the island for another round of great company, smoked salmon, bagels and other treats. I abstained from the alcoholic cocktails, as I had only slept four hours between events (yeah, that's how I rolllllll) and had to drive home...but the fresh orange juice and coffee were entirely satisfying.
I don't know who took this photograph. L. sent it to me the other day, and I like it, so I'm using it. The end.
After departing Portsmouth, I dropped groomsmen K. off at a Boston bus terminal before continuing south. I was sort of flying by the seat of my pants in terms of directions, which is not a good way for me to fly as I get easily disconcerted. This state of driving led to my eventually crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge three times, my needing to turn around in THE BRONX, getting onto the Palisades Parkway for no reason and, eventually, a ridiculously awful motel experience ( I finally gave up any attempt of getting to back to Philly at a reasonable or sane hour and stopped in New Jersey). How awful an experience? Well, for $90 I had the privilege of staying in a room with two locks, one of which clearly had been breached in recent times (looked like a crow bar had been used to pry the wood around the dead lock away...wood splinters still had a little sharpness). The inside of the room had its pluses and minuses. On the plus-side, it had wireless. On the minus, its toilet wouldn't flush unless you manually pulled the chain. And the wall paper was peeling off the walls. Now, call me snobby, but I kind of expect a toilet to work if I'm paying $90 for its exclusive use. The bed was a king, but I went to sleep convinced I would wake up with lice or bed bugs (neither happened, but that mind-set caused quite interesting dreams). The end.

No comments: