Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Country Garden and Chinese Gluttony

On Friday I emailed Mr. Ass to ask him what his weekend plans were like. On Saturday he was of two minds; half of him wanted to stay in Bucks County and order copious quantities of Chinese food and have a couple of drinks, the other half of him wanted to come into the city and have dinner and go dancing. I told him if the first half of him won, I'd be down to participate. In the end what I would consider his better half won the struggle, so after brunch (and a marathon blogging session) up I went. The Mr. Ass Family Garden was thriving, though the tomatoes were greener than I might have expected.

The onions were so happy about their onion state that they were virtually leaping out of the ground to be used.
Mr. Ass had a little painting to do but said I was welcome to come up a little earlier than his social schedule might permit, which I did. So, whilst he was all artsy on a roof, I was all semi-artsy/writing/reading in his parents' backyard. I think it worked out for the both of us.

I'm really digging these photographs of myself. I don't think I look this good all the time, but at least I can. If only all people I ever met would see me from this particular angle. Blah.
So, we ordered a hell of a lot of food for two people. The full load included: barbequed spare ribs, hawaiian skewers, chicken ho fun, general tso's chicken, pan fried dumplings and soup. I never got to the soup.
I think I was most a fan of the general. And the dumplings. The ho fun was not all that impressive. The ribs were sound. Mr. Ass was far more enamored of the skewers than I was, though exactly what made them taste like they do was an enigma that niggled.
We drank gin and tonics during the meal. Afterwards, in darkness, we went and floated in the creek on the edge of the fields that border Mr. Ass's house. Because of all the rain the creek (it may actually be a river) was flowing pretty quickly. Mr. Ass said he could feel it rising, I didn't but that doesn't really mean it didn't happen. We returned to the porch and I disappointed Mr. Ass with my lack of belief in the world being as complicated as he seems to think it is. A lovely night.

No comments: