Saturday, May 01, 2010

Hospital Pizza and Samurai Sushi

So, my parents live about an hour and a half away from the hospital where my mother was staying, which meant that that it made more sense to stay in Nashville instead of commute back and forth every day. This led, as I'm sure you noticed, to a lot of un-homecooked meals. I like eating out, and I like trying new places, so while the circumstances of my time in Nashville has been entirely crappy, I can't help but enjoy the excuse not to cook my own meals (though I need to work on eating more vegetables). Regardless, mom's lunch on this particular day was pizza and overly cooked asparagus. The pizza, each time I saw it, actually looked pretty good.
While Mom ate pizza in the hospital, I walked to nearby Samurai Sushi. I sat at the sushi bar and the woman two seats down from me asked me if I was from the area, to which I replied no...she then told me that I had picked the best sushi joint in town. Having only tried one other, years back, I don't have the true ability to compare, but I really enjoyed my meal. Unfortunately Samurai Sushi doesn't seem to have a website for me to look back upon and remember the name of the crazy roll I ordered....but it had white tuna and all sorts of crazy sauces.
In addition to the fancy roll, I ordered ikura, white tuna, and spicy tuna. All was good. The ikura portions were very generous, almost more than I needed.
When the sushi chef saw that I was taking photographs (the woman and I were basically the only people in the restaurant, which makes sense since I went after the lunch hour rush time) he made up a little taste of something else. This comped three-roll was a staggering compilation of salmon, tuna, shrimp tempura, kiwi and some sort of rice paper instead of seaweed. It was really good. I also saw the assistant sushi chef guy make some sort of roll topped with seaweed salad...I'm hoping to get back there and try it.

This seems to be a quality place that engenders loyalty. My seating mate brought her own sushi knife with her, which she seems to do each time she comes in. She told me she would bring it in, show it to the chef, and if it needed sharpening he would tell her and then go and sharpen it for her. Any place that fosters that kind of staff/guest relationship is clearly on the up and up. Go there.

No comments: