Sunday, May 16, 2010

First Ever Krispy Kreme

One morning I came into the common eating space of the 'lodge' where my mother was staying to have a cup of tea while she ate her breakfast. A man came out of nowhere (but proabably really somewhere) with a box and invited all of us in the room to help ourselves. This box contained a little less than a full dozen of still-warm Krispy Kreme donuts. I may be mistaken, though I think not, but I managed to live my whole life without trying one of these devilish treats. I now understand, to an extent, what the fuss is about. Crispy. Warm. Airy. Sweet. All good qualities. I can't imagine eating more than one. I once tried to read Rick Moody's The Diviners at one point in my life, and only got about 10 pages in. In those pages a character 's obsession and addiction with the donuts leads her to (if I recall correctly) know the schedule of baking so she can always get them hot out of the oven, and that she typically eats a dozen at a time.
I was feeling a little woozy after one. I can't imagine having two, let alone twelve.

No comments: