Friday, May 14, 2010

Woodsy Wilderness, With Birds

What is this bird? It is red. Is it a baby cardinal? No? Then what is it please?
The nice thing about my parents' house is that it has woods and birds and moss and trees and things. After struggling with my usual camera lens, I switched to my zoom lens, which helped a bit with my desire to take photographs of birds and things.
The rock up all close and stuffs.
While there are a number of birds I'd like to capture, photographically, I tend to find myself inundated with blue jays and those red birds. There are also blue birds flitting about, and I finally got a pileated woodpecker yesterday. And I really want to get proof of the red faced/tails skinks I saw all over the rock...but they really, really make it difficult to take a picture.
Blue Jays are still way pretty, even if rather common.
And then is this a chickadee or something?

2 comments:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

red-headed one looks like a house finch.

i'm not positive about the other, but it doesn't look like a chickadee (at least not the ones we have up here). it looks titmouse-ish.

Anonymous said...

House Finch - male, I believe.
And the other in questions looks more like a Tufted Titmouse.... such is my knowledge of the birdies....
I reckon the ol' NC porches are good for some kinda lurnin!