Monday, May 17, 2010

Neighborly Dinner c/o Miel

The T.s came to visit one weekend. They had been in the south for their niece's graduation (complete with D. having his first ever ice luge) and made the detour to come by and see my mother on their way back to Maryland. At this point she was still at the lodge and we weren't quite clear what the next step in her treatment would be, but she no longer had to wear her mask everywhere and could certainly have meals out. We went to Miel (I need to find the equivalent of Miel in Philly...an expensive French restaurant without a lot of pretense and with a good prix fixe). The amuse bouche of the evening was a salmon terrine type bite on crunchy baguette. It was to my liking.
We started with a sparkling Rosé, which was a little sweet...but I'm not really complaining.
The appetizer special of the evening was a soft shell crab dish. My parents split one, and I tried a few of its legs. Nice and crispy. I like it when soft shell crabs aren't overly breaded; it's a waste and a travesty.
I'll have to get my father to comment up on the red wine being decanted in this photograph. We also had a white wine I liked very much.
Before our arrival, I had every intention of ordering the risotto with ham, scallops and poached egg. But the entree special for the night was compelling to me, so I changed my plan and ordered the monk fish with short ribs on top. A strange combination for sure, but still good. I forgot how dense monk fish is and how rich short ribs can be. Would I ever come across the desire to remake this dish for myself? No. Did I eat all of it? Yes.
For dessert we shared profiteroles. They were yum, yum, yummmmmy.

And to end the meal, a dollop of fresh honey.
I insisted on a few photographs in the parking lot because that is how I roll.
It was great to see the T.s, neither of whom I have seen since last year's Preakness. Good people, the both of them.

1 comment:

nc catherine said...

The T's look good. The p's look good. The monkfish short rib combo indeed sounds over the top rich! And yup get the Daddy-o to comment on the decanting, craziest looking thing I have ever seen!