Thursday, May 20, 2010

Oh Woodpecker

It doesn't really matter how many times I see a Pileated Woodpecker, I still think they are awesome.
There's a dead log at the end of the rock that seems to be a particularly good place to look for grubs and insects and the like. So, when this guy came for his meal, I was relatively ready with my zoomy lensed camera. Better than past attempts, though I still have a few things to learn about the best settings for bird pictures (as you will see later, and now too).

So big.

2 comments:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

so jealous!! i've never seen one. we have cute little downy woodpeckers and noisy red-bellied woodpeckers as everyday backyard visitors, but i have not managed a pileated siting. so lucky!

feel free to post tons of bird pics while you figure out your camera settings. i'm very much enjoying it!

cc said...

:) more birds to follow