Friday, July 20, 2007

Nashville Sushi...Perhaps Technically Brentwood?

On Wednesday I drove to Nashville to pick up the parents who had arrived in New York City earlier that morning then took a car to the airport...going through, it seems, giant two foot puddles. I went earlier than they were arriving so I could go and buy the aforementioned power cord and, also, to get a small amount of my sushi on. It's been a while. So I google mapped the mall and the airport then searched for 'sushi' nearby. This place was relatively close but, more importantly, it was the only one I could find that had a website. So I went to Hanabi for sushi. This place was in the midst of all terrible kinds of office buildings and sprawl in a little shopping center whose main purpose, it seemed, was to attract workers from everywhere for lunch. There was also a spa, a Curves and three other restaurants. And I had gotten there at lunch hour so there was not a table for one available. So it was the sushi bar sitting for me. I always feel pressure to speak to the sushi chef and I feel like the chef also feels pressure to speak to me and it's all very awkward. I had the Spring combination (one roll and five pieces sushi) and an additional roll...and some eggies! Shrimp, crab, salmon, white tuna and regular tuna. Spicy yellow tail (which was, unlike so many others, very unmayonnaisy) and crunchy shrimp maki. And my beloved wasabi tobbiko and ikura. All was tasty and since I hadn't had breakfast I didn't feel overstuffed as much as entirely satiated.
And now we're, more or less, up to date.

3 comments:

J said...

Hey, what types of eggs are the green one? Is that ikura or tobikko?

cc said...

Tobikko! Wasabi tobikko in particular. I don't know if the eggs are the same as the more prevalent masago (smelt eggs) or different. I've found that at higher end sushi restaurants you can find wasabi, chili and citrus infused tobbiko. The citrus I tried was all weird and citrussy. I did not like.

J said...

Thanks! Upon further consideration and web search usage, I figured it out too and then got some non-wasabi tobikko, 'cause I couldn't find the wasabi kind. It was good.