Saturday, May 15, 2010

Breakfast and Pho

Our hotel loaded us up with breakfast coupons, which we could use to, get this, have breakfast. It was an above par breakfast experience to many hotels in so far as they had hot food. A buffet provided options such as scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage links and patties, hash browns and biscuits. Where one might expect soup, there was sausage gravy, cream of wheat and grits. I did not avail myself of breakfast every day, but on this particular day I did. I decided to be a little creative. On a halved biscuit, I placed one sausage patty. I then topped the patty with scrambled eggs and sausage gravy. I asked the omelet man (who, I later found out, would fry eggs as well) for a little of his cheese, tomatoes and peppers and concluded the gluttony with two strips of bacon. I don't know if anyone else is disgusted by this, but I was...in the sense that it's ridiculous, not in the sense that it tasted bad. It tasted good.
That same day, I think, I met up with my parents, their friend H. and her son F. for pho at Miss Saigon. I came late, having been unable to see the turn-off for the restaurant, so everyone else had already ordered. I decided to go with rare beef and brisket, which was brought out quite quickly. Though I got my bowl in front of me with speed, I cannot tell a lie (blatant lie) and say that it was really great. None of my meat had a hint of rare to it, which was disappointing. Another disappointment was the quantity of meat (not much). The broth was fine, I mean you can't really go wrong with the basic ingredients of a pho broth, but it wasn't spectacular and certainly didn't make up for the disparity between the menu description and the bowl put in my face. One suggestion one often makes in my line of work is 'give this essay to someone without giving them the prompt that you were answering and ask them what they think the question was.' In this case, if you were to put this bowl in front of me and ask me what the menu's description was I would say. One bowl pho, well done steak and brisket, half portions of each. Which, as we have already covered, is not what I was looking for. The end of my rant.

No comments: