Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My First Stop

I've been wanting to get out of the city for a while now. It's a little more difficult since I crashed my car but everything is manageable if you don't mind paying for it. After a long, tortured figuring out of funds, timing and desires (and talking to my mother for an hour on the phone) I got my rental car in the morning and drove on up to northern Illinois for the day/night. I went to Royal Oak Farm/Orchard and picked some apples.


The apples were not abundant seeings as how I should have visited a few weeks back...this apple in particular I wanted...but it was too tall. In fact that was true for a large number of apples. I am five feet five inches and a half and I simply cannot make my arms reach seven foot things. But look how red and shiny! I didn't get it.

There were ladybugs.
And giant decaying pumpkins (another post once I get access to verticalizing software).
And stray chickens.
And pretty sad looking goats and sheep.
This was a dirty goose.
I also bought some cider, some windfall apples (unlike my last orchard visit location, this place didn't allow you to pick windfalls yourself at a discount...though you could get 1/2 bushels of their windfalls for 12.95...I did that in addition to picking my peck of Jonafrees) and I would have had lunch in their "country kitchen" but there was a large line of senior citizens, a good number of them in wheelchairs, that made me feel like it just wasn't worth it. No offense, senior citizens.

No comments: