Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Preakness Day

On Preakness day we took our time getting out of the house and onto the road for the 45 minute drive north to Baltimore. This was for a number of reasons. The primary reason was that the Preakness was, if I recall correctly, the eleventh race and wasn't scheduled to go off until nearly 6...and that would be a long, long day (especially since the normal 15-20 minute amount of time between races would start running 30-45 as the main event became imminent). So, we got there around one, I think.
B. boiled eggs that morning and I turned them into pretty standard deviled eggs...some with salt/pepper/mayo and a tad bit of mustard and some with that same combo plus wasabi.
One of the entertainment features of the Saturday was parachutists from the airforce jumping out of plane and then landing on the turf. There was a moment where one of the dudes seemed to lose control, spiraling not in a I'm-putting-on-a-good-show kind of way but in a no-really-I'm falling-through-the-sky-with-colored-smoke-coming-out-of-my-feet. They did right themselves but I certainly gasped and inhaled a little.


B. and my mother, friends since B. and D. moved into the house across the street about 30 years ago. Awwww.
Mom and Dad with some hats. Dad had a pretty good start to his day winning some seriously big bucks on one of the first races we witnessed.

My father was quite generous and 'staked me' both days of racing. I managed to lose almost all that money. I won a little on the first day (less than $20) and another $20 on the main race of the day but it was definitely a losing situation. I thought I had every possible combination covered for the Preakness but Big Drama just didn't even factor into any of my bets. At least I bet on the filly, sheesh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a fattering picture! No wonder I,m being offered seats on the transportation modes here in Paris!