Monday, July 16, 2007

Splosion

Last night as I was reordering my netflix queue (has anyone else found that a larger number of their disks are turning up unplayable?) I suddenly noticed smoke. I had not had a cigarette in a while so the smoke, though often quite understandable, seemed rather out of place. Then I realized that it was emanating from the computer monitor. Now that wasn't good. And then thirty seconds after that the screen went dead and I rushed around looking for an extinguisher and imagining the computer screen exploding and lots of shards of glass rushing out to meet with my face, innards and cat. Luckily that didn't happen and I didn't even have to use the extinguisher. Though I did stay up an extra hour watching Alias (what is up with that show?) waiting for the sparks to continue. This now means that I can't check my email constantly nor can I apply to jobs...since my laptop is currently without power source. So I'm in the library but I don't want to come here three times a day to check my email...someone would notice and then comment (to themselves if at all) that I have no life if I'm coming into the library so often. Very problematic indeed.

I started to read a book about a certain kind of oyster in France written by the wife of Robert Penn Warren. But I keep thinking about Harry Potter. What it comes down to is that I love stories that function, in a way, like television. In that the story isn't *really* over with the book that you have a guarantee that you have another chance to read about and enter the world of the characters. Harry Potter is, for me, the book equivalent of Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Veronica Mars...only with magic and school and stuff. And a book about oysters, as much as I love oysters, doesn't have that same narrative grab. It's not easy, this.

2 comments:

J said...

What's this book called? I like oysters.

cc said...

The Oysters of Locmariaquer by Eleanor Clark. I haven't gotten very far and it's old school writing somehow. But already I know a bit more about the oyster world of Brettany. Breton? Eh. Vive les huitres! Or whatever they're called.