Friday, July 27, 2007

A Day

Last week I was cat-sitting. It was low impact cat-sitting since the cat (Lucy) had both a self service food bowl and water bowl. My main responsibility was to make sure her litter box was behaving properly and to water the plants. On Tuesday I met up with Lucy's owner at The Blue Chair for coffee, conversation and cash...oh and a blueberry muffin. We talked about the new Harry Potter and how to engage students in the act of reading...or something. I had a cafe au lait, with hazelnut flavoring. When I requested whole milk the woman at the register looked at me with a mixture of indifference, contempt and stubborness and said, firmly, that they had two percent. She said it in a way that I did not want to bother arguing with her. But, I mean really, it's a coffee house. They have cream, whole milk and skim milk to put into their regular coffee. Doesn't it seem sort of silly to deny me my extra percentage of milk fat? I do. The coffee was still good, didn't need sugar because of the hazelnut and the muffin was freshy.
After the cat socialization I returned home so that Mom and I could go to Huntsville, Alabama. Our goals were simple: get me a businessy suit so's I can apply to businessy kinds of jobs, go to Costco and stock up on all sorts of things. We first went to TJMaxx and another department store. At TJMaxx my mom found me a really nice bag/purse that I can fit my computer in and look like a grown up. I also got two blousy tops. And at the other department store (whose name I don't remember) we got me a suit my mother doesn't consider proper for job interviews. But it's cute. Our plan, after that, was to go to the Thai restaurant further down the shopping strip. I got excited as we walked by the windows and saw what other patrons were enjoying...they even seemed to have sushi. Unfortunately the excitement quickly became bitter disappointment and hunger pains when we got to the door and looked at the hours. Their lunch service stopped at two. It was two o' five. Bastards. Then we went to a mall to search for suits but with no luck. Then Costco. Then home. Except with a quick stop at a McDonalds. I had McNuggets though I was on the verge of having a chipotle snack wrap doo-dad. Then my mother got a speeding ticket. I considered asking the police officer if I could take a photograph of him...but I don't think my mother would have approved.
We got home around six, maybe seven. My father had made some tomato sauce and started water boiling for pasta. Those two things became our dinner.

2 comments:

Robley H said...

The shy cat Lucy and the cat conversationalist appreciate the attention.

Robley H said...

The low-impact-sat cat and her human companion are most appreciative.