Thursday, June 24, 2010

Saratoga Springs Farmers' Market

On Saturday morning I awoke much earlier than the rest of the ladies and decided to be slightly adventurous/productive. I did a little sleuthing and was pleased (though not really surprised) to find that the city has a Farmer's Market...and that it was on Saturday, starting at nine. I did a little research about what I would need in order to properly brine a pork tenderloin (my main contribution to the upkeep of the house/festivities was making the evening's meat). So I got into my car and went to town. I arrived a little before nine, and when I tried to purchase a few tomatoes from this stand, I was told that I had to wait until exactly nine, which is when a big bells was rung thus commencing the commerce. This gave me time to walk the full breadth of the market, nicely covered from the rain that started to stream down from the sky, and lined with individual sellers of produce, flowers, cheese, eggs and meat. It was quite convivial, the different vendors catching up with one another as they unpacked and set up their goods. I liked that these tomatoes had a visitor.

Radish love.







These boys were all walking with their hands in their pockets and in a loose uniform of jeans and short-sleeved collared shirts. I was curious about them so I took a photograph. I feel like they have the look of children with religious parents who maybe farm or something.
A great way to start the day. I ended up buying radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries and a little bit of goat cheese.

No comments: