Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Memorial Day Sunday w/ J. and J. and S. and N. and F. and T.

On Sunday I drove back to Philadelphia, regrouped briefly then went on over to J. and J.'s for some hang time and foooooood. Within moments of my arrival there was an impromptu and improvisational round of yoga done.



F. and T. were coming over too, but we started chomping on the great charcuterie/cheese plate that he-J. concocted before they arrived (and made a good dent). Watermelon was also consumed, with forks at S.'s request.
Delicious.
He-J. found a suburban Whole Foods that sells beer, a rarity in Pennsylvania.

I was wearing a pair of my fake glasses, which turned out to be a pretty big hit with the under four foot crowd. I also brought the kids flashlights as a birthday gift to S. and a don't-fight-over-the-flashlight gift for N. The idea seemed solid, unfortunately the flashlights were poorly constructed and, I would imagine, have already been entirely destroyed. But for the person looking to buy a little boy a present (girls too maybe): get a mini-flashlight for the tyke, it will be used and appreciated for at least four hours.
He-J's apocalypse garden experiment seemed to be thriving.
And their strawberry patch was also producing.
Some sort-of baseball was played.
He-J. made quite a nice spread of food for dinner. Pasta salad, brisket, baked beans, cherries and more.
That was some really tasty brisket, with a great accompanying barbeque sauce. I assume he actually made the sauce, but if it was store bought I want to get in on that action.
There was just a little beer left in this jug, so I drank it.
Drinking the beer made my face go all a'twirl.
F. and T. brought a bottle of limoncello, which we tasted alongside He-J's homemade stuff. I forget what we decided (they actually said we didn't have to decide anything...but I wanted a decision). I think I liked his better, though it had the advantage of already being cold. Maybe it was a little less sweet too? Or sweet in a more organic way? If that makes any sense.
T. also had a pair of glasses. Her poor glasses were licked at one point. Mine just got cake all over them. Oh yes, F. and T. also brought the most ridiculously rich chocolate cake you could imagine. Insanity. I couldn't even finish one slice. The littler ones had less of a problem with cleaning their plates.
N. as a young and outspoken academic.
F. and N. in serious debate about the ramifications of eating chocolate cake after 8 pm...that or the likelihood of peace in the Middle East.
F. took a few photographs of J. and me and T., but this is the only one in which I don't look like a complete mess. And you know it's all about me. I actually photoshopped a piece of chocolate off my mouth in this one. Such vanity. Whatever. I am so cool.
My late nights in NYC forced me to leave the house before games were played or another bottle of wine was consumed, which was a disappointment but couldn't be avoided. A great heaping thank you goes to both the J.'s for the good time, wonderful food and lively company, as always.

No comments: