Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Green-Wood Cemetery and Tempeh Wrap c/o S'Nice

On Sunday L. and I walked to Green-Wood Cemetery. It was a nice walk and the cemetery has something quite special about it -- in addition to its beautiful grounds and beautiful gravestones and crypts, it has a flock (or multiple flocks?) of green birds living in its gate spire and flying all around the area.
It was a hot day. The sun was something.
Rex. Looks like a Golden Retriever or maybe an Irish Setter. I assume that this was the nearby man's directive: that his dog, or at least a monument to his dog, rested at his feet for all eternity.
We saw a few frogs jump into the pond from a distance, but couldn't really track any down when we were closer to the water. There were a lot of snail shells along the edge, cracked so fine they looked like powdered glass. Cracked kind of like shards of light-bulb.
Green birds in flight.
Find the bird. Thing of it is I didn't bring my zoom lens, so I didn't get to see the bird real close-like. Alas.
After the cemetery we walked to S'Nice for lunch. In a move L. considered "out of character" I ordered the smoked tempeh wrap with avocado, mixed greens, cilantro, tomatoes & spicy chipotle dressing. It sure was a lot of tempeh (by that I mean it was maybe too much tempeh for me) and it was relatively well flavored (I refer only to the tempeh in terms of moderate flavor) if still lacking in any texture I could truly get behind and appreciate. The wrap as a whole worked well and I liked it very much. We were chastised for bringing in outside drinks, which was fair...though maybe a slightly less condescending attitude would have been nice.
We also passed the neighborhood Farmer's Market. So many strawberries.

1 comment:

j, foodie blog enthusiast said...

awesome, you've seen the famous brooklyn parrots! i've been fascinated by the parrots in brooklyn for years (you can see at the site below -- they're at many other locations). i need to get my act together and go on the "wild brooklyn parrot safari" one of these days.

specifically at the cemetery: http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2006/03/greenwood-cemetery-parrots.html

safari: http://www.brooklynparrots.com/2007/01/special-double-header-wild-brooklyn.html