Sunday, July 05, 2009

A Woodsy Walk

Early Saturday afternoon M., A. and I took a walk in the woods near their house. They were hoping to see Jack in the Pulpits. These flowers were not in the woods.
Panda high stepping.
A. and M. are knowledgeable about plants and were quite pleased to see trilliums popping up all over the place. So pleased, in fact, that they asked me to take a photograph of the plants. I suggested that it would be a better picture with them in it, I'm not sure they agreed. While I appreciated that the trilliums are a native species, I didn't think they were all that pretty to look at. M. later showed me pictures of trillium flowers and I came around a little.
Serious off-walking, no paths and tall, lush undergrowth. I loved looking behind us and seeing the clear line (perhaps not a straight one) of where we had walked...knowing that the grass would rebound quickly, leaving no sign of our presence. Quite pretty. I was glad that S. keeps a full line of boots for guests. It wouldn't have been half as pleasant a walk if I was relying on my sneaks.

Under one trillium we saw this. A. began to wonder if the trillium and Jack in the Pulpits were the same thing in different stages of growth. M. declared this an impossibility....a few hours later we learned that A.'s hypothesis was exactly on the mark.
I was using my laser eyes on the ground when I saw this tiny little toad hopping. I picked him up even though I knew he was going to pee on me. And pee on me he did.


S. was generous enough to let me do some laundry while at her house, which meant that during our walk the majority of my wardrobe was in a dryer. So I wore my dress and a large pair of sweats and then the life-saving boots. I felt like I looked properly ridiculous, so I had my photograph taken.
We saw a number of different kinds of mushrooms and each time at least one of us would suggest that we eat them...though clearly that would be unwise since we know, collectively, pretty much squat about mycology.
Then we went to a stream.
And I took this picture of myself.
Then photoshopped it. It's the same and yet kind of different, yes?


A lovely, lovely time.

1 comment:

SK-S said...

indeed, what a lovely little nature walk. Of course the froggy peed on you but he's so cute, you have to forgive him.