Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Lackluster Mob

Earlier in my life I had a proper collection of linens. You know, matching sets of sheets, towels for guests, etc. Somehow this has changed in the last few years. Well, no, that's not true. I still have matching sets of sheets (or at least two sets of matching sheets and two other sets of non-matching sheets) but my excess towels have disappeared. I told C. and K. this as we were driving away from the train station and they were both, and I think this is accurate, fairly appalled. I recounted the story of when J.D. stayed with me before the reunion. The story is fairly simple: he wanted to take a shower, I didn't have a towel for him, so he used a tee-shirt. After brunch we walked on over to the liquor store and CVS. We went to the liquor store to buy bourbon, I forget what the actual purpose of the CVS trip was...but C. and K. bought towels there...a dolphin towel and a primping 'spa towel'. Upon returning home, K. demonstrated how one could combine these towels to make quite the fashion statement.
After sitting on the deck with sweet teas and bourbons, we returned to Fairmount Avenue to see the Bastille Day hullabaloo. I am not going to describe it, you can read how it is described here.




While I loved that a whole community turned out for the event, I found the actual execution (heh) to be a little bit of a let-down. The scripted banter was not very funny. I tried to take better photographs of the thrown twinkies, but I failed. Sad face. And we were too far back to actually see the guillotined water-head of Marie Antoinette.

2 comments:

Mike said...

The "My Own Personal Car Wash" image cracked me up, nice you have a good sense of humor.

J said...

I feel that you do not appreciate how awesome that looks.

Wish NY had a Bastille looking dealy for just such events.