Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Scrabble and Fried Things

As I mentioned in an earlier post, on Friday Mr. Ass stopped by for dinner. He brought lychee fruit, which I had never seen not in a can. I liked peeling the stubbly red skins and exposing the strange lychee insides. In some ways, texture and color, the fruit certainly shares a resemblance to eyeballs...but doesn't taste like any eyeball I've ever eaten (I think I've only ever eaten fish eyeballs). This obvious correlation between the lychee and eyeballs can be demonstrated in no better way than by Mr. Ass's decision to replace his own corneas with the succulent fruit.

I had gone to the farmer's market the day before and had a nice array of produce to work with for an impromptu dinner. I had four little baby eggplants that I sauteed with smashed garlic, spring onions, sesame and olive oils, soy sauce, sriracha, a pinch of cumin and a tad bit of sugar. I also had tofu and green beans. Mr. Ass suggested we fry them, I got behind that idea. We had a difference of opinion as to whether the soon-to-be-fried items should be egged and floured. Mr. Ass's skepticism to my insistence on egging was quite clear, so I suggested we do it both ways. Mr. Ass made the seasoned flour for the meal, and floured all of the tofu and some of the beans. Once that was accomplished, did my own flour egg flour combination.
A agreed that, in the end, egging was the way to go. His seasoning really was able to announce itself in the egged up form, which was interesting because my seasoned flour never really adds much to the dish. Something to work on. I made a little dipping sauce out of ponzu sauce, sugar and the juice of half a lemon.
Mr. Ass suggested Scrabble. We played a good game. At the end of it I was victorious. Heh.
This was an unexpected get together and nice and chill. I was glad that it happened, even if our conversation about writing threw me into a spiral of ughadoo. That's a word now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming that oaks was the last word of the game, but why was yetis not played??

cc said...

I had at least one opportunity to throw down the yetis...but I think that my alternative moves gave me a better score.

Cryptic Council Junior Steward said...

sorry for the ughadoo. Good hanging out though.

nc catherine said...

The egging happened with the tofu too, or is that good looking stuff the product of flouring only? The beans look crisp and tasty too! Secret seasonings in the flour?

This has been the week of stories about things fried. The other day there was the WaPo or NYT story about fried chicken...I have not made fried chicken in forever, but that particular article, talking about bacon grease and seasoned flour in a paper bag and a trusty old cast iron skillet made me want to make some....And there you were, on the other end of the fried things spectrum with tofu and vegetables...Yummy.

cc said...

No, the egging was only for a select few beans. Mr. Ass really made me question my steadfast thought that it was a good idea, so I didn't try to convince him to egg the tofu.