Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pork and Beans and Salad and All Around Goodness

The Wednesday before last I packed myself up and took a seven hour drive on up to Cranberry Lake, New York, which is in the Adirondack Park Preserve. I drove there because A.'s family was having a reunion and he and M. thought that I would like the place and people. They were totally right. Within moments of finally arriving at the house I was in a boat on Silver Lake, with a drink in hand (a Dark and Stormy, I believe) soaking in the pretty and looking at a Loon. Soon after our boat trip dinner was served. There were more than 20 G.'s in attendance and different nuclear families were in charge of different meals each day. This day was the Texans...I think...or maybe the family from Portland?...regardless, the first course? Salad. Salad with blue cheese dressing and bacon. I could be wrong, but I don't think this was dressing from a bottle chock full of preservatives and mystery chemical ingredients (if it was then I need to really get my tongue in check) it was magical, especially when paired with the salty little chunks of bacon liberally smattered throughout the mixed greens.
The main plate consisted of collard greens, black beans and rice, and pork tenderloin with a mango salsa that just couldn't be messed with.
I always have trouble cooking pork in a way that satisfies me, but this really inspired me to give it another go. The meat was moist, moist, moist (they grilled it on an open fire, I think) and the marinade around its edges, while economical in its portions really added a punch of flavor. And then there was the sweet salsa (or was it chutney?) topping. Just great.
After dinner there was a cheese plate and apple pie (I couldn't take a photograph of the pie that wasn't entirely blurry). The cheese in the forefront is a camembert-gorgonzola hybrid.
Many different wines were on each table (I was with the 20-30 year old cousin table along with M. and A.). This was a particularly 'coiffable' wine.
We ended the night around the fire just by the lake's shore and I tried a 12 year old Scotch. A wonderful welcome after a day of driving.

No comments: