Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sushi c/o Fuji Mountain

I had a long and vague list of places I'd like to go for dinner with C. and K. Most of these places were restaurants that I have read about but never had any one to go with/the money to go when there are people to go with. Somehow, however, I never really came to a conclusion as to where it would be best for us to go, which meant that after our martinis there was not a clear next step. So we walked around Rittenhouse Square, looking at menus, paying particular attention to sushi menus. In the end we went to Fuji Mountain, which has, in some strange way, become my fall-back sushi place. This was my third visit, and like the last two, the service, food and ambiance of this visit was perfectly fine...but nothing really spectacular. I know spectacular when I see it, I think...or do I? We ordered a sushi plate for three (there was a specific title, but I forget what it was), and started with the age dofu and a saki described on the menu as 'excellent'. The salad's dressing was nice, not too sweet.
The king crab California rolls were a welcome treat from the imitation crab California rolls to which I have grown accustomed. White tuna was delicious as usual. There was a seared sashimi fish that I enjoyed, but I don't know what it was.
On the walk home it began to lightly rain. Then K. did this, which made me chuckle because of, you know, the somber dude behind her.
My chuckle was passed to K. who posed again with her handsome stranger.
Then C. joined in too. Though maybe chuckle isn't quite right. It was more like a support-chain.
We stopped off at Wawa where K. made an important ice cream and cookie decision, then we went back to the apartment and watched Sweet Home Alabama while eating aforementioned ice cream and cookies. That movie is my guilty pleasure. I'm not sure one should really watch their guilty pleasures with others, it may ruin the pleasure. I suddenly became far more aware of all the stereotypical north/south character traits, and the sheer inconsistency of Reese Witherspoon's mother's opinions on the men in her daughter's life...oh and the whole depiction of love and relationships...the mysterious dark room that, when the lights turn on, is actually Tiffany's at night (the lights go on and Reese Witherspoon's yankee boyfriend proposes and all these Tiffany minions stand behind case after case of diamonds at her command...and I really think we're all supposed to think 'wow, look how much that man loves her, he had the store open after hours and he's going to buy her a big-ass diamond, what could be better'). We watched it nonetheless. And I know I'll watch it again.

No comments: