Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ancestral History!

On Valentine's Day my parents and I drove into St. Augustine proper and visited the St. Augustine Historical Society's research library, which just happens to be the childhood home of my great great grandfather. Boo yeah, history! On the right is the man in question, on the left the Dr. Alexander Darnes, the second African American doctor in the state of Florida and also the son of a slave/servant in the Kirby-Smith household. There has been speculation that they were actually brothers. But, as I've established in the last few posts, I don't really know the history of either of their lives enough to comment. This statue, commemorating their friendship (?) was made by another cousin of mine (one who I don't think I've ever met, actually...her parents, and their corgi dog, on the other hand, certainly figure into my childhood memories of Sewanee).

There were oranges in the garden, for god's sake. Oranges!
The obligatory photo by the sculpture. Pretty sure the photographs that my mother took with her camera, of my father and me being properly odd, would be a bit more entertainment.
The library itself seems to be quite the good resource for St. Augustine fanatics. My father, for example, spent two days (before my arrival) reading through archived letters on microfiche.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are documenting this! If you come back to Greensboro we can see the statues in town. corgis, ha, remember them.