Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Art And A Haircut, Two Bits

On Friday B., N. and I went to A.'s opening. A slew of high school faces, some expected, some less so, passed before my eyes. This included the school's librarian who, miraculously, seemed to remember my name and person (impressive since I do not remember myself being overly chummy with any of the library staff). After viewing the art (which inspired in me a desire for large amounts of disposable income with which to buy paintings) we had dinner and drinks at nearby Sassafras, I ordered the Verenike (Mongolian dumplings) and a dirty vodka martini. B., a vegetarian, had the portabello burger while N., not a vegetarian, had the regular burger and a dirty gin martini. The first attempt at our martinis were not dirty in the least, so we requested a change...seems that the waiter, who I found to be almost too apologetic, forgot to ask for the drinks to be properly anointed with briny olive juice. Upon correction, they certainly had a whiff of that component but, for $9.50, I was disappointed. N., at first, seemed pleased with his drink but seemed to change his mind once the price came into the picture. My dumplings' innards, a combination of veal, pork and perhaps a third meat, were a step up from the sort of quality you might get in a Chinese restaurant and were served with a overly salty soy sauce and sour cream (strange pairing, methinks). I think I would have been happier had I chosen a different meal. B. seemed pleased with her burger and N. (who I had foreseen ordering the wings but didn't) said that he should have ordered the wings. I agree, as an order came out to a nearby table and they smelled and looked quite scrumptious. The low lighting of the establishment make taking good pictures even more of a challenge than normal (this is with the getting-less-magical-by-the-second mini-tripod) and, again, I must refrain from posting any evidence that this meal, or evening in general, took place.
Our night continued and a good time was had by all. Then, on Saturday I got a haircut care of the Beehive. This photograph doesn't do it justice, I don't think.
Note the plaintive expression I am presenting the camera. I am thinking something like: 'why does this camera make my haircut look less exciting than it actually is/perhaps I should have been born an idiot'.

7 comments:

JJS III said...

I actually enjoy the camera's interpretation of your haircut, but I do imagine it'd look better in person. Bad camera! It can't do your haircut justice because it doesn't have a brain to understand the concept of justice. So lame!

Anonymous said...

The hair is good, the plaintive look one I have seen on nearly all the relations in our shared gene pool. Does the hair require lots of maintenance? I whacked mine off in a fit of pique only to figure out that it became infinitely more high maintenance, unless I was happy with the Bozo/Einstein look.

You look way younger, not that you are anywhere an age where looking younger would be a plus. You look good and I will shut up now.

cc said...

I am currently on a short vacation. My parents say that they didn't recognize me as I appeared out of the airport terminal due to this hair cut.

Trans-formative! Imagine that said in Oprah language.

For the hair to look proper it probably would take maintenance. I bought some goop but I'm still learning how to use it...that and I refuse to blow dry my hair.

Lindsay said...

your last line brought on the lolz. ben even asked me what i was laughing at.

love the new 'do.

Unknown said...

Glad you are a fan of dirty martinis. I would love to send you a sample of my company's product - Dirty Sue - premium olive juice for dirty martinis.

www.dirtysue.com

Let me know.

Cheers,
Eric
et1969@mac.com

Anonymous said...

Wasn't that a double negative?
You know who that would bother and who would mention it!

Anonymous said...

Ok that is one helluva niche, Eric...premium olive juice for dirty martinis!

If spring ever comes I may think of your company when I am hankering for a good dirty martini and debating the sodium in the olives that I would want to eat...if I just had the juice and no olives, no dilemma.