Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Catan Food

Last week M. sent me the links to a whole new level of Catan-crazy. Though I haven't played the game since my time in Indiana, it used to be a pretty major entertainment factor during the days of the ebf and Vassar, and then Chicago and grad school. I still have the games in my closet, just waiting for someone who knows how to play (it's hard to be the only one because as fun as the game is, it takes a fair amount of 'splaining and enthusiasm...and if you're the only one with the knowledge, and you have to teach at least two more people in order to actually play...well they are majority and will probably just hate you, or something).
But look at this! There is a whole world of people out there who like the game! Nay, I think it's safe to say that they love it! I mean, look at those perfectly cut (shit, not hexagons but septagons?)....Amazing. If you live in Philadelphia and are not overly creepy or strange (I am the only person who can judge this, sorry), and already know how to the play the game...um, can we be Catan friends? I have knights and castles and seafarers, if that makes me any cooler?
Oh my god, geek alert.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Catan and know how to play (I like Scrabble too, btw, although my anagrammatic skills are far inferior to yours, judged by what you've revealed on this blog so far). I do not, however, live even remotely close to you. But then, who knows where I would rank on your creep/strange-scale...

claire said...

Oh man. I have similar ebf-related catan memories. come back to ny. we will tie seth and josh down and play till dawn.

cc said...

Huckleberry: I don't know if it's a shame or a blessing that you live in Germany. I mean, if you lived in Philadelphia we could play some games...but if you were creepy then it would end badly and you'd be one less regular blog reader...and that would make me sad.

Claire: um, when can this happen, this catan playing? no pressure but what are you doing next weekend? I planned on taking time off to go to Florida to hang with my parents...except it was too late notice and flights were too expensive. So now I don't know what to do with myself. And I love the image of me on the Bolt Bus with three boxes worth of Catan and only one plan: play. til. dawn.

ha. i just realized that you are in a relationship, so you probably have definite plans for valentine's weekend. oh well. future!

claire said...

oh man oh man. This must happen. As it happens, I do have plans for the weekend, but they involve my parents and my sister (in addition to the seppo), so that'll be fun. If I thought my family would be into it I would insist, but I think it might be toooo much for my dad.

that being said, what about the weekend after?

cc said...

Claire: I think that could possibly work. Ask S. for my phone or email info so we can discuss this further (ie are you serious?).