Sunday, March 01, 2009

Soup and Sandwich c/o Denoel

I was quite hungry after the history session of St. Augustine, having not had breakfast. So we went to a place my parents had liked before my arrival: Denoel, a Belgian bakery that has been family owned and operated for nearly forty years. It's a small space with a pastry case at the back, the kitchen behind it, and maybe ten tables arranged in the remaining front space. A medium aged dude was taking orders and busing all the tables as we came in, and seemed quite flustered about it. Friendly, certainly, but flustered. The savory menu is quite to the point: they have a choice of two soups, and maybe six different meat sandwiches. This is not a deli, where you can add lots of extras and create your perfect sandwich.
The simplicity of the options, and the lack of options for specialization was actually refreshing, not a bummer. Change of pace. My mother and I split the salami sandwich, while my father had the Black Forest ham sandwich, we all had a bowl of soup. The cream of asparagus soup couldn't really be considered a work of art, but I was hungry and with a little extra salt and pepper (I would have even sprinkled a little hot sauce in it had I the option) and it did disappear. The highlight of my meal was the quality of the bread.
The real reason people line up here, and they do, is the desserts. Unfortunately we were going to have a Valentine's dinner in a small amount of time, so having dessert seemed like overkill. Boo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In retrospect, this restaurant was one of my favorites. Everything tasty and fresh, and the portions sized in such a way, (if you were not going to dinner in two hours)that you could still have one of their delicious desserts at the end and not feel
stuffed. mc