Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dinner c/o Umai Umai and B.'s Father

Last Tuesday was a good eating day. First, there was the Primo sandwich and then: a dinner at Umai Umai. Umai Umai is in the Art Museum neighborhood, which is my neighborhood, and I pass it a fair amount on my constitutionals around the 'hood. Every single person to whom I have spoken about the restaurant raves about it...and yet I never quite got myself inside its walls. When B. mentioned that her father was taking her there I was appropriately jealous. My passion led B. to extend an invitation to join them. After suggesting that she clear this hypothetical invitation with her father--and his being amenable--I did end up going to dinner with B., her father and M. I started with an oyster shooter: a narrow shot glass with ceviche soy and sea urchin into which I gently slipped the kumomoto oyster, quail egg, and salmon roe. I cannot tell a lie: it was not as amazing as I had expected. The soy ceviche liquid was so salty that the taste of the oyster and interspecies eggs were completely overwhelmed. But it sure was pretty and the Japanese berry as palate cleanser was quite interesting.
I also ordered the 'Traffic Light' roll: tempura battered soft shell crab with spicy aioli, topped with citrus, wasabi and regular tobikkos. Quite pretty, and very well done...but not as good as B.'s choice of roll (something like Pingu?). B.'s father also ordered sashimi to share, which was quite generous and smooth.
If I were to go back, which believe me I will, I would go further in my exploration of their straight up sashimi, and perhaps another specialty roll (though at $16 a pop they're quite pricey). Thank you to B. and B.'s father for the lovely evening and initial Umai Umai experience!

No comments: