Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Litte Fort History Never Hurt Anybody

After lunch we went on over to take a look at Fort Matanzas. This meant a short boat ride across Matanzas River.

One man drove the boat, another tied the boat and the third, this guy, accompanied us to the Fort and made the appropriately lame but wholesome jokes one expects of a Park Ranger (how many of you have seen these canons go off? (no one raises their hand) how many of you would like to see these canons go off? (a smattering of hands are raised) well, come back next month at night and you'll get to see it, ha. ha. ha.) I was actually impressed by the youth of this here ranger, I also wondered what his salary was, whether he had health benefits, and what other responsibilities he might have other than making a 10 minute presentation on a lesser-known fort every hour on the hour from 9 til 3 (none at noon, actually). I did not ask him about any of this.


The fort had two floors and a roof. The first floor was for the enlisted men (five of them) while the second floor was for the two officers....or flip that, I can't quite recall. The purpose of the Fort was sort of an initial alarm system for St. Augustine. No canons were ever fired, or if they were they were done so for fun. Or something. Man, can you tell I am not an overly good history buff? Give me a novel and I'll get into it, give me a Park Ranger and I'll be wondering where he lives.



After our time at the fort, we took the 'nature walk' in the park. I hoped to see a gopher turtle, in fact I feel like I was promised a gopher turtle (there was a flier that said that they were all over the place...but it lied) but all I saw was a lizard or two...which was almost good enough.
I think this is a chameleon lizard.
Some animals didn't seem to get the whole 'no foot traffic' sign.


Warmth equals purple flower!
This I will call 'wood lizard' because it was in a hollowed out part of a tree and its skin kind of looked like bark...I think that's what they call camouflage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably an eastern fence lizard - Sceloporus undulatus. Apparently some other folks call them wood lizards, too:
http://calebswildlife.blogspot.com/2007/04/wood-lizard.html

cc said...

Man, I wish Caleb still was posting. I'd like to see more bullfrogs and the like. Considering the fact that his last post was in 2007, I'm thinking that's not going to happen. Bummer.