Monday, February 23, 2009

Lunch c/o South Beach Grill

For lunch my first day in Florida (we were staying in Crescent Beach, near St. Augustine) we went to the South Beach Grill and sat outside. I had a budweiser, because that's what I do when I'm sitting outside at the beach.
I ordered the Minorcan conch chowder after my mother dissuaded me from trying the roasted corn and blue crab chowder. I did not like this very much, the pieces of conch were small and not overly flavorful, while the rest of the soup was too reminscent of a watery tomato sauce one might find accompanying mozzarella sticks (don't get me wrong, I love me some mozzarella sticks but still).
We shared a pound of shrimp that was quite good. Though the fake drawn butter was less than ideal.
We also ordered "clusters" of steamed oysters. Though the area is at a crossroads between fresh water and ocean water, the oysters that live nearby are less than trustworthy/large enough to be eaten raw (I was a little unclear if it was safety or size issue). But, for whatever reason, it's entirely fine to eat them once cooked. And that we did. It was fun, and tasty....minus the fake butter but plus the really, really fresh and tangy horseradish.

No comments: