Saturday, August 02, 2008

Irrational

Every time I bring deli meat into my home, Zul goes crazy for it. He sniffs it through the shopping bags and doesn't stop meowing. Any time I open the refrigerator he is there, instantly, mewling in such a fashion that I often expect him to start vomiting or to fall over in immense pain.

Thus setting the scene. This morning I had a thought:

I can't wait until Zul goes out so I can have a sandwich in peace.

Um. Yeah. So many problems with that statement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So he is obsessed. I had a cat who was obsessed with cantelope. Would cry and howl and get all excited about the goopy seeds. So I gave him some pieces of the real deal, not just the goopy stuff, to make him leave me alone. That seemed to have done it. Altho with deli meat, maybe Zul should have some with some wasabi on it or hot mustard to make it not quite so desirable? Do cats have tastebuds that detect heat, as in spice heat? I do not know. Apparently squirrels do and birds do not, so one can dump chile powder on the seeds in the bird feeder and the cardinals et al happily eat and the squirrels go bother someone else's feeder.

This would be your ersatz nature note for the day. But truly, feline or canine hysteria over grocery bags gets old fast.