Thursday, August 21, 2008

Drinks and Jerk Chicken c/o Mount Gay Rum

So, as I mentioned, Saturday was National Rum Day and Mount Gay Rum's public relations people were kind enough to send me a sample bottle of their rum and a long list of recipes in which it was featured. In the end I chose to make use of their jerk chicken recipe (I considered their chicken stew but it involved pineapple and orange juice and I'm not sure if that the kind of stew I like...actually I know it's not and I made another kind of stew later on that you'll just have to wait to read about)...which I am happy to share below. I also looked through their myriad drink recipes before deciding to, as Fleetwood Mac might say, go my own way. What was it?
1 shot mount gay rum (Eclipse model),
1/4th of a lime (squeezed)
Strawberry peach juice and a splash of tonic
All shaken together (well, actually the tonic was poured after the shaking).
It was, if I say so myself, quite tasty tasty.
I've never had jerk chicken before, let alone made it, so I can't tell you if it was successful on that score but I took the Mount Gay recipe and followed it pretty accurately (except I made more of it so increased things a bit and added potatoes...which I'm sure makes me a non-authentic jerk...ha!).
The recipe for the chicken, as I adapted it:
4 chicken drumsticks
2 split chicken breasts
1 cup Mount Gay rum
about 6 tablespoons jerk seasoning (I bought the seasoning from Shoprite...so I have no idea about the quality of the product)
all that chicken and rum and seasoning gets put into a big ziploc bag and marinates for 3 hours
3 potatoes roughly chopped and three garlic cloves, smashed

Okay, for this part, you lay the potatoes down into a big casserole dish then put the chicken on top, making sure all the jerky rummy goodness gets into the dish

Bake at 350 degrees until chicken is done (if you want it to take forever...which, it seems, I did)

The other element of this recipe was a salad. It was very similar to one of my favorite salads. So much so that I kind of just made my salad but with the addition of their ingredients:
juice of one lime
chopped parsley
two avocados, gently cut into happy chunks
3 tomatoes chopped
1 red pepper, roughly diced and chopped
1 yellow pepper, the same
salt
They included a vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons vinegar (I found it slightly irritating that they didn't specify what kind of vinegar)
lime juice
shredded raw beet (I left this out, though I bought a beet and was astonished when the friendly cashier had to ask me what it was)
1.2 "juice cup" of oil (again what kind of oil, I wonder? and what is a "juice cup"?)

Coworker L. came over to watch the Olympics and share in the food. She seemed happy with the chicken and salad and rum drinks. I know I was.

Thanks Mount Gay! And, hey, tell all your friends that I'm always happy to test things out and share my results with the blogging public.

1 comment:

Robley H said...

One question: How did you get the free bottle again?