Saturday, August 16, 2008

Dinner c/o Manayunk

Last Friday K. came on down from NYC for a weekend away from that particular city. We made ourselves Shirley Temple Rogers and played Rummy for the majority of his (and later J's) visit but we did manage to walk down the hill to Manayunk for dinner at the Manayunk Tavern. Whenever I told people about how I liked the Manayunk/Roxborough neighborhoods the people I was speaking to would give me an odd look and say something along the lines of 'yeah if you like drunk frat boys and vapid women'. And I didn't get it because I'd only really hung out in the area north of Main Street, where the row houses have more yards and the streets are a bit better kept and the residents all seem to have been a part of the neighborhood forever. But during our walk down the street, looking at different menus, trying to decide where we wanted to eat, I began to get the idea. Then, sitting outside during dinner watching more women in extremely short skirts walk by me than I think I've ever seen in my life, and dudes with wide wide shoulders and that slicked back look and take all the sidewalk manner, well I got it. K. ordered a Caesar salad. I tried it, it wasn't bad. Though not amazing.
I ordered a cup of the tomato basil soup and it was way too salty. I had serious doubts about how homemade it really was.
I had the lobster spring roll appetizer as my main meal. Eh.
K. had their riblets and black and tan onion rings. He had good things to say about the onion rings. Our server was a bit, shall we say, clueless and, at times, inefficient. Would I go back? Maybe...but for beer or a burger...I would definitely not drive out there specifically to go to the tavern, that I can say for sure.

No comments: