Thursday, August 14, 2008

Garblack

Last weekend I also took a walk. I took a lot of photographs near the Art Museum and then along Kelly Drive and then by the Rodin museum. But I'm not bothering with them at the moment. Instead I'm thinking about my impending move. You see, I found (with a lot of long distance craigslist help from my mother) quite a nice apartment ridiculously near my place of work, tracked down a roommate and the ebf was kind enough to bring all my stuff from Chicago to Philadelphia (I feel it is important to clarify that this was not something I asked for but, rather, something he suggested. It was extremely helpful if, as always, a little sad making to see him). Now, however, I have a whole new bunch of problems.

1) My entire neighborhood has permit parking. If you don't have parking there's a two hour limit. So, well, I need to get myself a permit.
2) In order to get a permit one must have a car with Pennsylvania plates.
3) In order to have Pennsylvania plates you must have a Pennsylvania driver's license.
4) Also, in order to have PA plates you have to make sure that the lien holder on your car doesn't mind the change of location/you may have to pay another heaping pile of money for a Pennsylvania title.
5) In order to get a Pennsylvania license you need to have proof of residence.
6) It would make sense to get the license with my new address but in order to do this I'd need to have official mail sent to me there. But that wouldn't happen until the 1st and where would I park my car?
7) I don't really have a base of people I can cajole into helping me move so I need to decide whether I want to hire movers and a truck, rent a UHAUL and move as much as I can by myself, bring things from the storage unit at a piecemeal pace and continue paying for the unit even after I've moved in.
8) I still don't have a local bank account (Chase, it seems, exists on every street corner in Chicago and New York but has some sort of craaaazy issue with existing at all in Philly).
There are more but I'm sort of over even thinking about it.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter moved from state A to state B (names of states concealed to protect the guilty). She attempted to license her car in state B almost immediately. Licensing fee was in 3 figures. State B would not take Visa, nor would it accept a check on a bank in state A.She then went to open an account in state B, only to be informed (for reasons not clear to me) that she needed proof of local residence - as in car registration. Yes, she finally got it all done, and yes, 8 years later she is still in state B. (She may never move again!) hmr

Anonymous said...

I thought you had one month free and one paid month for your storage locker,so don't you have all of September to move in?

cc said...

Guh, that is not a very inspiring story, HMR.

Anonymous, we've already discussed this...today, on the phone.

J said...

That sounds very stressful.

No, no Chases in Philly. Not a one far as I know. But we have a lot of Commerce, Citizens and Sovereigns. I think Commerce is becoming TD Bank North or the other way around.