Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sunday, Part II: Cabaret/Bingo/Karaoke @ Mary's Attic

Oh my. I'm so lazy, I'm totally not going to upload the above photograph to picnik.com to rotate it and then download it back to my computer. Nope, not going to do it. One of the many disadvantages of graduating from graduate school and going out into the world is that the photoshop I've been using for the last year no longer works (it was on loan through SAIC and they seemed to have forgotten about it until October and now it just won't work)...this means I can do very little to make photographs look better than they actually are. And that to resize, rotate or adjust colors or contrast has become increasingly stupid difficult.

Anyway. The above photograph is of the college chum as bingo board taking a drink. After Hopleaf I relinquished all tendencies of being in charge of the night's agenda. This resulted in going to places in the neighborhood that I haven't been to before, or haven't been to on the right night to understand their full appeal. The first stop was Mary's Attic the upstairs space of Hamburger Mary's. Now, when No-Longer Wayward and I went to the restaurant neither of us were overly impressed. I recall being downright offended (not really) by receiving our check in a high heeled shoe. But when we went upstairs there was a funny little cabaret going on...it was funny but they sang real nice.


Every time I hear the above song I think of my freshmen year of high school. The memory is this: it was the time of year where we were to come up with a skit or some other performance in honor of our hardworking prefects (the seniors that watched over us). I did not play an active part in any of the planning, or I don't think I did, but I was in a room with about 14 other girls as they tried to rework the words of the song to make sense for our two prefects (Ronnie and Melicia if my memory serves). It went on for a long time and I had never heard the song before and didn't think it was all that great. In the end the lyric changing meeting ended with them ditching the song entirely. I think.

Anyways. After their set was over karaoke/bingo night started. We didn't actually stay for either activity but it looked like a fun crowd and I would consider it in the future. I'm not much for karaoke but Bingo is right up my alley.

No comments: