Sunday, November 18, 2007

Provenance in Lincoln Square

On Wednesday I went to Provenance (Gourmet Food Shop? I don't know if it has more of a name than simply Provenance) in Lincoln Square for a Chicagoist cheese of the month post. Small little shop. Made me think of a gourmet food shop in Rhinebeck, NY. I wonder if it is still in business. Hold on one moment, I'll take a look. (7 minutes later) I couldn't find anything out, there's no obvious webpage for the store nor is there any mention of it at Rhinebeck.com...which may not actually be the best source of information about a place. Anyways, I've emailed a former professor and-dare I say it?-friend, who still lives in the area. I hope she will shed a little light on this cheese shop disappearance. I wonder what's there instead. It was near another restaurant I had brunch at once. It was a little shopping area that sprung up in the five, no wait, six years I was in that area. Across an alley-like street there was a health-food store and cafe. Also across the street was a restaurant El Toro Negro, maybe, it was in Spanish and the it meant black bull. The Black Bull. I don't speak Spanish. And Osaka! Oh my I'm ranting and raving now. I can picture so many of the meals I've had in that area. Food was less disappointing there. I think. No, it's true. So many Culinary Institute of America chefs staying around the area, bringing quality cooking to many a fine establishment. Le Petit Bistro. Cafe Pongo (before it closed). Diaspora. Osaka. New World Home Cooking. Red Hook Diner. Luna 61. Broadway Pizza. Oh, I don't know for sure that all these places had CIA chefs, by the way.
Back to the point. Provenance was small and unbusy which wasn't too surprising for a Wednesday afternoon. I zipcarred from 12:30-3...and this was my first stop...it maybe could have possibly made more sense for me to take the train because there was a stop nearby, but it was a brown line stop and I hate leaving the proximity of the red-line. I have narrowed the city of Chicago-as I live in it- in doing this. Below is the zipcar I drove. It had the option of a sort of automatic stick shift experience and straight-up automatic. No clutch, just a matter of shifting the gear-thingy. I have grown to like stick-shift on occasion, it's a much more involved way of driving and you can find yourself being very pleased with feeling like, for one small moment, it's effortless. It's a driving in a movie kind of thing. Anyways. I am rambling. Which I rarely do on this blog so I'll stop.

No comments: