Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dinner a la McCormick & Schmick's

After work I took the train down to the Gold Coast and met up with the 'rents at McCormick & Schmick's Chesnut Street location. When No-Longer-Wayward and I went to their wine/fish event a few months back we got goodie bags at the end. The main goody was a $75 gift certificate for the restaurant. Very generous! Anywho, originally that's why we (my parents and I) were going to eat there. But then -with work, hangovers, lack of functioning phones and general miscommunication- we ended up not having that certificate but eating there nonetheless. I started with Imperial Eagle Oysters after asking our waiter, Bart or Mark (we never were quite sure of his name), what oyster they had that shared the most in terms of taste/size as Kumamotos (as they had none of the wee little beauties). Though, in the end, not as similar, the Eagles were quite good. Larger than kumamotos, they had a less delicate or refined taste but a striking and a more-complex-than-the-gulf bay oysters-I-most-recently have-consumed (and enjoyed...take that stupid Savannah restaurant)-in-large-quantaties, shit that sentence has completely gotten away from me. The point? They were good, briny and different.

All three of us had lobsters for our dinner. Perhaps not the meatiest I've ever had, the meat was tender and, at the end, I was entirely satiated without being stuffed. I even took the time and effort to get the meat out of each little leg...actually I started that way....the way one goes about eating a lobster is interesting. You either start with the best part (arguably the tail) or the very close runners up (claws) and then to the itty bitty leglets. Or you start with the worst (leglets) and slowly move on to the best...running the risk of getting full before your last bite of tail (hee hee).
It was good. How any one could fuck up a steamed lobster is almost impossible to imagine.
For dessert we had the creme brulee...which was entirely forgettable but not bad.

No comments: