Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ignite Philly at Johnny Brenda's

A few weeks back BC asked AS and me if we'd like to go to an Ignite Philly event at Johnny Brenda's. I certainly didn't know what that meant, but figured it would be a new and exciting thing to do, so I agreed without hesitation. As did AS. It turned out to be quite a good night, if a little demoralizing. Basically the set-up is that about 10 people do short power point presentations about projects they're doing in Philadelphia that will have a positive impact on the whole of the city, or at least a community within it. The cast of speakers was diverse and varied and all were doing such interesting and productive things, I couldn't help but look at my own life and how insular it really is. But no matter, with that strain of self-loathing aside, it was entertaining and a little inspiring.
These were the three MCs of the evening.
This woman told a story about young love.
This guy does something crazy with architecture and technology that I never understood.
This guy was hilarious.
These two sisters took initiative to clean up their block through gardening.
This guy was talking about a parade in Kensington and how everyone should be making floats.
I forget.
There were a number of other speakers, including a guy who has started an urban composting company, a woman who spearheaded a 'cow share' program, another woman who believes everyone needs to go home and not work so hard, and a few others I can't recall at this point. After all the presentations were complete, we made our way to Barcade. I had one beer and the chorizo quesadilla, which wasn't amazing but wasn't awful either.
A good night.

No comments: