Monday, February 13, 2012

Flying to the Bahamas

As I have mentioned a handful of times, I recently went on a Bahamas vacation adventure with my dear friend L., who left her hubby (Fat Tony) at home. Since we live in different cities, we planned on both flying into Nassau (the main island of the Bahamas, or at least the most built up) and then meeting up and catching a smaller plane to the island of Eleuthera where we were going to get our vacation on. My flight was a direct flight to Nassau from Philly, which left in the mid-morning. The flight was uneventful. Except for the views.
I loved how the glare of the window caused that rainbow effect, and that then you can see the shadows of the clouds on the water below. I also saw a bunch of weird orange/browny stuff that I tried to take a decent photograph of but couldn't. I decided it was oil that had gotten away from the Gulf Coast, which may not make any sense. This photograph below, I like it because it is a photograph of an island and a sea, but it could also be some weird soapy something.
It's good that I risked roaming charges to turn my phone on when I landed, as it was through doing so that I learned that L. had managed to get a direct flight from Miami to Eleuthera, thus cutting out one whole leg of flying for her. I killed some time before my scheduled flight by drinking Kalik beer and reading The Family Fang. The plane to Eleuthera was small, but I struck up a nice conversation with one woman who basically suggested a lot of things I had already read about, but it was nice to get a confirmation of my choices. The plane was very small. There was a moment when it all could have gone wrong when I got off the plane and walked to the small airport and didn't see L. It was at this time that I asked my new lady friend if the plane made two stops, which it did, and caused me to realize that if I didn't hustle/run back to the plane, I was going to be 30 miles from the airport to which I was supposed to be arriving, and with no way to let L. know. Thankfully there are times when I really can hustle, if hustling is truly called for. So, crisis averted.
I safely landed at the N. Eleuthera airport and quickly found Louise enjoying a beer and the company of a native Bahamian at the bar directly across the street from the airport. We hugged. We giggled. We got ourselves to a taxi, which then took us to the Land of Smiles (grocery store) and then on to our abode for the next five nights.
Here begins a series of photographs I took of L. making friends with animals. This little kitten was a resident of the five-apartment set-up we came across. He was cute but rambunctious as hell, as you might pick up on in a later post...but maybe you won't. It'll work out either way, I'm sure.

No comments: