Saturday, November 07, 2009

Apple Picking c/o Solebury Farms

After about an hour of auctioning, Mr. Ass and I headed towards my car and then, separately, on up to Bucks County. We were specifically headed to Solebury Orchards, as I wanted to do some apple picking (I just realized that I said this happened on Saturday, but it was Sunday). I had hoped that maybe there would be chickens, but there was only kale. And apples, of course.
The apples to be picked that day were Keepsake, Fuji and Braeburn. We never quite located the Braeburn, so stuck mainly to Keepsakes (lovely finish) and Fujis. Here I am trying a Keepsake and laughing about it.

The preceding days continued in the form of rainy and not pleasant, and the morning made it uncertain whether we would actually see any blue skies/sun, but, as Mr. Ass predicted, half way through my drive north the clouds broke and there was hope. On the drive to the orchard I saw a horse running around its field just for fun, and I thought that was pretty great.
The apple to the right is the perfect apple.
Mr. Ass was a little more skeptical about the apple's perfection, but shoot, it was perfect.

Because of all the rain the entire orchard was muddy. Seriously muddy. My shoes still haven't recovered, and might not never get better.
So pretty. My neighborhood has its share of trees, and they are not without their fall beauty, but driving around the country and seeing (a little on the late side) the splendor of massive numbers of trees in all hues of red, yellow and orange was just what I needed. I could be wrong, but I think the last time I left Philadelphia was Labor Day weekend, and that is just too long to go without getting out (damn you busy season/inertia!).
Sun!
Cider donut? Yes, please.
In the end I picked a little under 15 pounds of apples, which I had every intention of immediately turning into apple sauce and pies....but then I got home, and I was tuckered out from such a full day of activity, and didn't. Still haven't. Will. Do. Tomorrow. Maybe. It's the peeling and coring that really bums me out, I feel like the last time I did this I had the company of J. Is that possible? Probably. Yes, the last time I went apple picking was when I still lived in Chicago, and I do think J. came over and helped me with the crusts, maybe not the peeling and coring.

Pretty. Pretty. Pretty.

No comments: